Skip to main content

Attentions and Intentions

Picked up the blog again temporarily while I have some extra time on my hands with the intent to hopefully write something that people will actually want to read.

Apparently, a good way for an author to develop interest and desire from a reader is to ask the reader some provocative questions with the goal of keeping them entertained.

So, how's your day going? How's your family? Pets doing well? Additionally, the stuff I actually care about, do people still read things on their laptops? Do people still read on their desktops?

Or is everything you read now exclusively available on a 5 to 8 inch plus fibreglass-esque rectangle most likely located in your front pocket? Do people even read at all, whether it be for their own pain or pleasure?

Because I'm aware that you're just dying to know, my personal preference is to have a cellphone that's smaller in stature so that it fits more properly into my clothing. Strangely, my favourite object to read is also the absolute nearest one that's always in my pocket. The one connected to the world wide web, and the one most commonly found on my person. Ironically there's also a high probability that the device in conversation is still being paid for via some automatic and practically compulsory monthly charge from the local cellphone provider.

Now my question of the day is which reading-method better captures your attention? Reading from a somewhat smaller cellphone screen that has a shape somewhat similar to the conformity of a traditional book, or one that more closely represents wherever the hell it is that you keep a physical keyboard these days?

Is the popular opinion that a more upright, electronical screen helps the reader's intention to retain the information being viewed, or is the freedom to sit in almost any position with your screen handheld more important?

As a writer, who at the very least would like to feign the intention of capturing the attention of my reader for the absolute, bare minimum amount of time it takes for both of their eyes to pass across the words written, the method in which this singular and peculiar circumstance occurs is incredibly important to me.

Studies have shown that reading from actual paper books leads to better retention. Staying on that brainwave, another predominately assumed fact is that the repetition of either manually handwriting text, or typing out what is being read, will aid in the ability to recall that information later.

Don't strife, I'm not going to make you print this out just to read it, and as incredibly honoured as I would be, I'm not going to try to get you to write out a copy of this just for your own personal notes (although there is a test next Tuesday).

You see I've always loved the expression "you could be anywhere in the world, and you're here with me".

To reiterate that statement in this author's humble but modern, current, and rambling voice; you may be deciphering this stream of thoughts on a variety of different mediums such as a smartphone, phablet, smartwatch, tablet, netbook, notebook, laptop, desktop, smart fridge, coffee maker screen, or even read aloud to you word-by-word by a plethora of different voices such as Siri, Alexa, Google Assistant, Bixby, or Cortana. That is if any or all of those people are still alive at the time this is being read.

You could also be viewing any genre or variety of programming from absolutely any conceivable location on this planet, in whichever sort of media consumption method best suits today's feel, regardless of timezone. Another option would be to just stare at a livestream of a telescope pointing at Mars or somewhere else in this galaxy, although after some amount of time I'm quite certain that would begin to seem like watching the highway traffic cams of the universe.

At any point the gratitude felt by this blogger is only magnified by the multitude of the options that are available to his audience.

I also regret to inform you that for however long it took for your gaze to reach this point, whatever length of time that is, you are never getting it back. You've been duped into considering the opinions of a fool and a sap when you could have been doing any number of things far more gratifying then appeasing my thirst for attention.

Or in other words, made you look.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Giving Away A Free Hat To The First Person To Comment On This Post!

Ok so for the past while now I've been working on a clothing project. Since I was a young boy I've been doodling a familiar phrase on the back of my notebooks while sitting in class, writing the same thing in different ways to impress girls, or just because I was sick of what the teacher was nagging me about in high school. I would sketch-out the phrase, add additional designs too it; sharp flames around the "O"'s or blue waves around the edges, then try and make a cute girl notice my artwork as a way to catch some of her attention that may otherwise be saved for a young male far more dapper than my teenaged self. Recently I found myself without a job and while interviewing I had to come up with a good answer to the clichéd question the person across the table often asks "What's your greatest weakness?" and WHAM! there I was the same nervous teen, scrambling to find an answer to impress someone enough to consider me for a position. Rather tha

A Brief Study on the Practical Applications of the Tim Horton's "Tim Biebs" Merchandise Line: A Short Conversation on Race

Well folks it has been 4 years since the last time the world was graced with one of these posts so why the fuck not once again, take another shot at getting you to read something. As has been continually repeated it seems I am only doing this for my own amusement, so it feels about right to document the passage of time with some fragment of an update. Now that we are living in such a constantly rapid 24 hour news cycle where even our own personal social connections are sending live updates of pretending to be happy while they enjoy whatever current meaningless task takes up their days simultaneously feeling the need to tell everyone about it, because a blog post just seems even less relevant than it was in April of 2018 when I offered to give away a piece of clothing to the first person to comment on my last blog post. (Update: Congratulations to a fellow author of actual stories and not just ramblings, and long-time friend on finally winning a free hat 4.5 years later. Check her out,

What A G̶i̶r̶l̶ Wants, What A G̶i̶r̶l̶ Woman Needs

So much for my goal of writing a new piece every month... As always if I'm not providing you with enough reading material for your cellphone or content for during the morning commute please let me know and at the absolute very least I'll tell you to screw off one to one :) Anyways, in honour of the International Women in Music summit tomorrow I've become inspired by the wildly dramatic and often talked on differences between men and women. The fact that what is widely considered a materialistic and sham holiday celebrating couples love for one another is taking place at the initial point of writing this post only confirms that my topic today will be what varies between the two genders people start their lives out as on this earth. Now I've often been quoted saying that the female gender is the far superior sex, but it has never been clearer to me how true that statement really is. Men, a concept clearly with origins from Mars, are often considered generally ph