Skip to main content

I am Giving Away A Free Hat To The First Person To Comment On This Post!

Ok so for the past while now I've been working on a clothing project.

Since I was a young boy I've been doodling a familiar phrase on the back of my notebooks while sitting in class, writing the same thing in different ways to impress girls, or just because I was sick of what the teacher was nagging me about in high school.

I would sketch-out the phrase, add additional designs too it; sharp flames around the "O"'s or blue waves around the edges, then try and make a cute girl notice my artwork as a way to catch some of her attention that may otherwise be saved for a young male far more dapper than my teenaged self.

Recently I found myself without a job and while interviewing I had to come up with a good answer to the clichéd question the person across the table often asks "What's your greatest weakness?" and WHAM! there I was the same nervous teen, scrambling to find an answer to impress someone enough to consider me for a position.

Rather than joke around and try and say something funny like "I need to improve on my crossword skills" I figured it would be a great opportunity to reflect on all the worst things about myself... and well I found out there's a fair bit.

"I'd like to do some charity work" is what came out of my mouth and I thought that might appease the interviewer enough to let me drink their shitty coffee and cash some cheques with their signature on it.

Now I'm not the kind of guy to ladle soup at a kitchen on any other day other than Thanksgiving, so I had to find another way to incorporate charity work into my everyday calendar. I also figure that the more people you can invite to the party the better the jam, so eagerly I searched for a way to somehow incorporate all of those eggs into one basket.

The same teacher who's class I was sketching through also told me you need a mission statement or something like that, but I mean clearly I didn't listen good enough, it's 2018 and I'm writing a blog so what can I say I'm not the quickest tool in the shed, but I anyway I took a stab at it:


"My mission statement is to support artists, designers, and my own passion for fashion. Really I want to use this as a way to keep control of an organization that can serve my own motives and still contribute to a bigger cause"


Like my first attempt at a mission statement my first clothing designs came back unexpectedly horrible. I learned that as usual, the devil is in the details, and well the devil wears Prada, so the devil clearly knows a thing or two about fashion.

Mostly my designs were self centred, selfishly motivated, and looked like the kind of crap you'd think someone would wear when they say they want to design a clothing line for themself.

I realized that I needed to picture other's in my clothing, the same way I picture other people dancing when I am practising Djing. I began to hold out my hands as if I was taking a mental picture, index fingers pointing straight up, thumbs touching, and the three other fingers on each hand pointing backwards.

This would become the symbol for my clothing designs, but first I took another stab at the mission statement:

"Look Clothing is a small Canadian clothing organization created by N.I.K. the DJ, a blogger, fashion enthusiast and artist.

The organization was created as a way to facilitate clothing designs made by the artist personally, to showcase the clothing, all illustrators involved, and to support various social causes.

A portion of every clothing sale will go to the social cause that design is inspired by, another portion will go to every artist involved in the piece, and the remaining will go to the cost of creating the designs"


The above is a mission statement I think my high school teacher would be satisfied with.

Now the hard part, finding suppliers, illustrators, and most importantly social causes that can inspire my designs.

This is where you the reader comes in, as the title of this article mentions, I am giving away a free hat to the first person who comments on this article. If you are not fortunate enough to win the first prize, please still comment on this article, I am always looking for feedback on my designs and on anything that I write. I also may have more prizes depending on the reaction I get.

NeverWorn is the spot where I will be blogging about my endeavours into the world of fashion, much like my older blogs about the parties I would attend or poems based on my current mood, it may not be obvious at first, but those were all experiences I had during my time DJing.

As I am still a DJ you can expect the same sort of party stories as always, empathetic poems and prose, but you can also expect reports on the latest fashion trends, upcoming fashion events, and eventually future launches of my clothing line.

So once again, I am giving away a free Look Clothing hat to the first person to comment on this article. I will pay for shipping anywhere in the world and all I ask in return is a picture of yourself wearing the hat, and holding up the "Look" hand sign.


May the best person win.... or you know someone.

Comments

Gab said…
Thanks. I'll expect it wrapped
Signed and sealed.

Get it when I see ya ;)

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief Study on the Practical Applications of the Tim Horton's "Tim Biebs" Merchandise Line: A Short Conversation on Race

Well folks it has been 4 years since the last time the world was graced with one of these posts so why the fuck not once again, take another shot at getting you to read something. As has been continually repeated it seems I am only doing this for my own amusement, so it feels about right to document the passage of time with some fragment of an update. Now that we are living in such a constantly rapid 24 hour news cycle where even our own personal social connections are sending live updates of pretending to be happy while they enjoy whatever current meaningless task takes up their days simultaneously feeling the need to tell everyone about it, because a blog post just seems even less relevant than it was in April of 2018 when I offered to give away a piece of clothing to the first person to comment on my last blog post. (Update: Congratulations to a fellow author of actual stories and not just ramblings, and long-time friend on finally winning a free hat 4.5 years later. Check her out,

What A G̶i̶r̶l̶ Wants, What A G̶i̶r̶l̶ Woman Needs

So much for my goal of writing a new piece every month... As always if I'm not providing you with enough reading material for your cellphone or content for during the morning commute please let me know and at the absolute very least I'll tell you to screw off one to one :) Anyways, in honour of the International Women in Music summit tomorrow I've become inspired by the wildly dramatic and often talked on differences between men and women. The fact that what is widely considered a materialistic and sham holiday celebrating couples love for one another is taking place at the initial point of writing this post only confirms that my topic today will be what varies between the two genders people start their lives out as on this earth. Now I've often been quoted saying that the female gender is the far superior sex, but it has never been clearer to me how true that statement really is. Men, a concept clearly with origins from Mars, are often considered generally ph